Thursday, June 30, 2011

Protest!!

If I was a racehorse there would be a protest that I’d been nobbled.

Remember the doctor’s visit mentioned last post? The results came back and the blood reading of uric acid levels say I’m pre-gout or pre-hyperuricaemic. Sounds awful and it is. So the odd short pain in the knees wasn’t from the arthritis caused by too many unexpected dismounts from horses but probably from uric acid crystals building up in my joints on occasion. The worst part of it is that I’m not a heavy alcohol drinker and haven’t had the luxury of eating rich foods all my life – it’s inherited from my biological father L.

Don’t confuse hyperuricaemia(gout) with heavy alcohol drinkers as it comes from having excess uric acid in the body and uric acid is caused by the purine the body makes during it’s daily maintenance (this is a simplified explanation). Many of the foods you eat have purine in them and though I’m not on medication I’ve been advised to lower my meat consumption (ALL meats but mostly beef) and move to a vegetarian diet. I’ve been net searching and come to the conclusion that there’s still a lot that is unknown about gout and that moderation in all things is the best approach as some foods have a negating effect on purine so if you are consuming enough of those it lowers or negates the effect of the purine in the ‘bad’ foods and your gout doesn’t worsen. So I’m not totally giving up my meat, fish and eggs. People like me who don’t actually have what is diagnosed as true hypeuricaemia can lower the level, just like type 2 diabetics can, and lead a healthy life. Two of the easiest ways to do this is consume 2 litres or more of water a day to help flush the uric acid out before it can settle in your joints and crystallise and to exercise daily so the blood keeps swooshing around and doesn’t allow the uric acid to stop somewhere. The main point being that I can change this if I want to.

So my mission to lose weight has changed direction a little. It’s stopped being a sprint to be fitter and become an endurance race as the point now is to be able to finish upright and still moving and pass the fitness check at the end.

Cheers,
Robyn

2 comments:

  1. Good that it's been picked up at the early stages Robyn.. at least you can do a lot to help yourself. Good luck with it all :D)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Now there's an incentive to get you moving, if you needed one.

    My dad suffered fom gout, quite badly but I never knew that about cutting down on meat,

    I hope you can manage it OK.

    Barb.

    ReplyDelete